Enhance the appearance of your pictures generally, not just your cakes and the realism of a floral design, Check out these stunning articles on how to use a rose petal overlay. You might be looking for some tips on how to decorate with rose petals in your images.
Both of these are about the same in difficulty. Although varying in different people’s work styles; a single petal overlay is just a little more difficult to accomplish (a lot of practice and learning can be achieved with it). Then using an entire flower.
READ ALSO: How to enhance Eyelashes in Photoshop
So what are rose petals?
In the digital realm, we see rose petals as overlapping layers of petals that lay over your layer or layers on your picture. The petal overlay method uses this technique. You basically use the same three main tools in Photoshop. And Illustrator that you have been using – the brush tool, gradient tool, and opacity filter. To help you create the rose petal overlay look.
As the name suggests, layering your petals works best on a picture that already has a rose in it. The rose can be moved in and out of the flower layers to give you different looks. You can even create various-sized flowers and add them to identical pictures for each layer.
Steps Needed to Apply Rose Petals in Photoshop
All you need are your pictures, the rose(s), and then some know-how about how to layer your petals.
The brush tool is used to help you create the layers of overlapping petals; by clicking on either a corner or an edge of a brush. It will create space between each layer giving you that layered effect that gives a realistic appearance of multi-layered petals.
The gradient tool is used to help you choose different colors that are similar in color to make your petals look realistic. Also, this tool will help you determine the transparency of your petals as well as the shading on them.
The opacity filter is used to create a more realistic look of flowers and rose petals. This filter works best at 70% or higher; it lets you put a few different shades of color on the rose petal overlay with varying degrees of transparency.
Each layer can be re-sized, moved, and placed differently from one another for your own personal preference.
CHECK OUT ALSO: How to use Selective Color Adjustment Layer in Photoshop
How to use rose petal overlay on your pictures:
- Have a picture of an object or person that is wearing a rose – this can be almost any type of flower.
- Use the brush tool, and the opacity filter, and choose two different color shades in your gradient tool palette. This will help you create the overall ‘look’ of the flower on your image. For instance, yellow-pink for a peony or orange-red for your roses. You can change the amount of transparency to 70% and create varying degrees of shading with these tools. As well as a different color from your original one to give you a realistic look.
- Draw your flower over the original picture on a separate layer. Then clip it if needed so that it can be moved around without distorting the picture.
- You can position your flower exactly where you want it to be by using the layer opacity filter to create a more realistic appearance of petals. By creating more than one layer of petals overlapping each other like in nature. Depending on the picture that you are using, you can make your petals smaller or larger, more shaded. And more transparent depending on how realistic you want them to look.
- To continue creating different degrees of shading and transparency. You can go back to the opacity filter and alter the amount of opacity for each layer.
- You can even use a combination of all three tools together; for instance, you can create a layer. With only one color shade, just enough to give your rose petal overlay a certain shading from the background. That you are using in your picture (unless it is black or white). Then place this layer on top of your original photo so that it is transparent on the background but still looks realistic. This will create a more natural appearance of overlapping petals.
- If you want to edit the picture, for instance, to make it lighter or darker. Or to add more or less shading, you can easily do this by going back to the layer opacity filter. Which applies the effect of opacity and transparency in a single step.
- Use your petal overlay as intended; if you want to put a rose on another picture. For example, clip it together with your original image before pasting it onto the new one. You can also place it over an existing picture so that only one area of the layer is visible. And use different saturation color shades from your flower overlay to give different shading. And transparency to that area depending on where it is placed.
- Use generous amounts of white space in your flower overlay so that the petals stand out more in a picture. That is otherwise pretty much empty; you can also use more transparent shading on your petals. So that they do not disappear into the white of your picture.
- Use single petal overlay as opposed to double or even triple layers. This means creating fewer ‘layers’ with more transparency and different color shades. Rather than having a lot of layers that are just simply colored over each other and becoming very transparent.
These are just some basic tips on how to create a rose petal overlay look; there are a lot of different methods to create these looks depending on what kind of results you want from them generally.